- Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, Brown Medical School, Providence, RI
- PhD, University of North Texas, Denton, TX
- BA, University of Texas, San Antonio, TX
Areas of Research, Teaching, And Clinical Expertise and Scholarship
- Intimate partner and teen dating violence
- Adolescent health
- Social media
- Substance use
- Dissemination and Implementation
- John Sealy Distinguished Chair in Community Health
- Founding Director, Center for Violence Prevention
- Minnie Stevens Piper Professor (2020)
- Chair, Society for Prevention Research annual meeting (2016)
- Society for Prevention Research
- Society for Research on Adolescence
- Licensed Psychologist
- Pending additional information
- Prevention Science Award (2021), Society for Prevention Research
- Outstanding Media Coverage (2019), Texas Psychological Association
- Rose Grundfest Schneider, PhD Award (2019), UTMB
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Service Award (2018), UTMB
- Outstanding Contribution to Science (2017), Texas Psychological Association
- Outstanding Contribution to Public Service (2014), Texas Psychological Association
- John B. Reid Early Career Award (2013), Society for Prevention Research
Selected from over 160 peer-reviewed papers;
* indicates trainee at time of publication
- Temple JR, Baumler E, Wood L, *Thiel M, Peskin M, *Torres E. (in press). A Dating Violence Prevention Program for Middle School Youth: A Cluster Randomized Trial. Pediatrics.
- Temple JR, Baumler E, Wood L, Guillot-Wright S, *Torres L, *Thiel M. (in press). The Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Adolescent Mental Health and Substance Use. Journal of Adolescent Health.
- Debnam, K. & Temple, JR (2020). Dating Matters and the future of teen dating violence prevention. Prevention Science, 22, 187-192
- Shorey, R.C., Cohen, J.R., Kolp, H., Fite, P.J., Stuart, G.L., Temple, J.R. (2019). Predicting sexual behaviors from mid-adolescence to emerging adulthood: The roles of dating violence victimization and substance use. Preventive Medicine, 129, 105844.
- *Mori, C., Temple, J.R., Browne, D., & Madigan, S. (2019). Association of sexting with sexual behaviors and mental health among adolescents: A systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA Pediatrics, 173, 770-779.
- Temple, J.R., Strasburger, V., Zimmerman, H., & Madigan, S. (2019). Sexting in youth: Cause for concern? Lancet Child & Adolescent Health, 8, 520-521.
- Lu, Y., & Temple, J.R. (2019). Dangerous weapons or dangerous people? The temporal associations between gun violence and mental health. Preventive Medicine, 121, 1-6.
- Madigan, S., Ly, A., Rash, C.L., Van Ouytsel, J., Temple, J.R. (2018). A Meta-Analysis of the Prevalence of Sexting Behavior Among Youth. JAMA Pediatrics, 172, 327-335.
- Cohen, J.R., Shorey, R.C., *Menon, S.V., & Temple, J.R. (2018). Predicting teen dating violence perpetration. Pediatrics, 141, e20172790.
- *Ninnemann, A., Choi, H.J., Stuart, G.L., & Temple, J.R. (2017). Longitudinal predictors of synthetic cannabinoid use in adolescents: Associations with internalizing symptoms, impulsivity, and other substance use. Pediatrics, 139, e20162675.
- *Van Ouytsel, J. Ponnet, K., Walrave, M., Temple, J.R. (2016). Digital forms of dating violence – what school nurses need to know. NASN School Nurse, 31, 348-353.
- Temple, J.R., Paul, J., van den Berg, P. *Le, V., *McElhany, A., & Temple, B.W. (2012). Teen sexting and its association with sexual behaviors. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, 166, 828-833.
- Stuart, G.L., Temple, J.R., & Moore, T.M. (2007). Improving batterer intervention programs through theory-based research. Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), 298, 560-562.