UTMB Campus News
SON News Articles
Dear School of Nursing Community,
The National Weather Service is predicting with increased confidence that Laura will track to the Texas/Louisiana border, and can impact our region. The City of Galveston has implemented a mandatory evacuation and city services will be suspended today at noon. All SON faculty and staff are expected to work remotely today through Thursday unless you are involved in direct patient care. Please contact your immediate supervisors regarding any questions.
Please note that this system could impact the Galveston and surrounding areas over the next 48 hours, pay close attention to the weather forecast and local news in the coming days. As we learn more about the impact to our area, use your best judgment about traveling. Never attempt to drive on roads that are under water. Refer to the following links for information on weather and travel conditions, as well as UTMB operations updates.
- City of Galveston conditions
- UTMB Alerts
- UTMB Emergency Operations
- SON orientation activities for the entire week of Aug. 24 have been cancelled. Stay tuned for further information on rescheduled orientation activities.
- Evacuation assistance is available for those who need it. If you feel that you may need assistance in getting to the city evacuation site on the island please complete this Evacuation Assistance Form. For questions about the form, please contact Student Life.
- Watch for notices from UTMB and the City of Galveston in regards to the mandatory evacuation directives. If you are leaving the island, please do so early when conditions are good and streets are navigable.
- Remember, be safe and do not travel if it is not safe to do so. Do not put yourself in danger.
Please take care of yourselves as we prepare for this storm and continue to monitor your UTMB email for additional updates
Deborah J. Jones, PhD, MSN, RN
Senior Vice President, Dean and Professor
Rebecca Sealy Distinguished Centennial Chair