- PhD, Applied Physiology and Kinesiology, University of Florida
- MA, Exercise Physiology/Kinesiology, California State University, Fresno;
- BS, Exercise Physiology/Kinesiology, California State University, Fullerton
Areas of Research, Teaching, And Clinical Expertise and Scholarship
Dr. Patel specializes in operating exercise clinical trials in healthy individuals and oncology patients. He has a strong background in exercise physiology with specific training on inflammatory and growth factor signaling in clinical conditions. Dr. Patel has obtained funding to support his research through the NIH, Department of Education, Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute, Texas Department of State Health Services, UT Health San Antonio Mays Cancer Center, Owens Medical Research Foundation and a number of other foundations.
As an educator and mentor, Dr. Patel is passionate about developing the next generation of scientists that will make breakthroughs in the prevention and treatment of disease. He has taught at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, specifically nursing students in research and evidence-based practice and quantitative research methods. Dr. Patel prides himself on being a teacher and mentor that promotes independent, creative, and applied critical thinking, while also facilitating practical knowledge acquisition through experiential learning that challenges students in ways to help them build confidence.
- 2018 — Present: American Association of Cancer Research
- 2017 — Present: The American Physiological Society
- 2016 — Present: Oncology Nursing Society
- 2016 — Present: Council for Undergraduate Research
- 2014 — Present: American College of Sports Medicine
- 2014 — Present: Texas Chapter of the American College of Sports Medicine