- PhD: Columbia University in the City of New York, New York City, NY
- BSN: University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI
Areas of Research, Teaching, And Clinical Expertise and Scholarship
- Dissemination and implementation Science
- School-based health interventions
- Adolescent health
- Latine health in the US and abroad
- Gender security and sexual health equity
- Structural and interpersonal violence
- Sustainable research collaboration with partners from low- and middle-income countries
- Cultural humility in health research, education, and practice
- National Association of Hispanic Nurses
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
- Fulbright US Scholar Program – Teaching and Research Grant, US Department of State (2021-2022)
- Collaborative Research Team Development Grant, UWM Office of Research (2018-2019)
- Luft, H., Perzan, M., Mitchell, R., & Schmidt, A. (2020). An integrative literature review of barriers and facilitators to cervical cancer screening among refugee women in the United States. Health care for women international, 1-21.
- Dressel, A., Falconí, E., Luft, H., Hawkins, M., Noboa, H., Betancourt, Ó., ... & Shedlin, M. G. (2020). Attitudes among working professionals toward immigrants and refugees living in Ecuador: Impacts on health and well‐being. Public Health Nursing, 37(4), 517-524.
- Luft, H., Ke, W., Trifol, L., Halpern, M., & Larson, E. (2020). Sexual Relationship Power and Safe Sex Communication among Partnered Women in the Dominican Republic. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 31(1), 28-37.
- Adebayo, C. T., Walker, K., Hawkins, M., Olukotun, O., Shaw, L., Sahlstein Parcell, E., ... & Mkandawire-Valhmu, L. (2020). Race and Blackness: A thematic review of communication challenges confronting the Black community within the US health care system. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 31(4), 397-405.
- Stonbraker, S., Smaldone, A., Luft, H., Cushman, L. F., Lerebours Nadal, L., Halpern, M., & Larson, E. (2018). Associations between health literacy, HIV‐related knowledge, and information behavior among persons living with HIV in the Dominican Republic. Public Health Nursing, 35(3), 166-175
- Iribarren, S., Siegel, K., Hirshfield, S., Olender, S., Voss, J., Krongold, J., Luft, H., & Schnall, R. (2018). Self-management strategies for coping with adverse symptoms in persons living with HIV with HIV associated non-AIDS conditions. AIDS and Behavior, 22(1), 297-307.
- Luft, H., & Larson, E. (2017). Psychosocial correlates of safe sex communication between Latina women and their stable male partners: an integrative review. AIDS care, 29(5), 618-626.