- PhD, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
- MBA, Our Lady of the Lake University, Houston
- BSN, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
- AAS, Nursing, Lamar University, Beaumont
Areas of Research, Teaching, And Clinical Expertise and Scholarship
- Patient Safety
- Quality/Process Improvement
- Risk Management
Dr. Leger has a clinical background in critical care, general medical/surgical, and home health nursing. In addition, he has extensive experience in nursing leadership/administrative roles in both large academic medical centers and community hospitals. He has served as Vice President of Nursing and Clinical Quality for the largest LTAC hospital provider in the U.S. in which his division was comprised of 29 hospitals in 14 states.
Dr. Leger is most proud of his role as editor for the nursing textbook, Financial Management for Nurse Managers: Merging the Heart with the Dollar (4th Ed.), that was awarded the American Journal of Nursing's 2017 Book of the Year Award in the Nursing Management and Leadership Category.
Dr. Leger also serves on the Board of Directors for the Resource Crisis and Counseling Center of Galveston County, a non-profit organization whose mission is to promote the safety, well-being and best interest of victims of family violence, sexual assault, and child abuse and to advocate for the prevention of such crimes.
- Nursing Research Award, Texas Nurses Association District 9 – November 2015
- Nursing Research Award, Alpha Delta Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International – May 2015
- Invited Attendee/Presenter, The Grounded Theory Institute – May 2015
- 2015 CHI Mission & Ministry Grant Recipient, “Care Transitions for Vulnerable Populations” ($1.5M over 3 years)
- John P. McGovern Distinguished Professorship Award – 2015, 2014 & 2013
- NASA/Texas Space Grant Fellowship Award (2014-2015)
- Promise of Nursing Regional Faculty Fellowship Program (2014-2015)
- Healthcare and Nursing Educational Foundation Scholarship (2014-2016)
- Salute to Nursing Scholars Award (2012)