- DNP, Texas Woman's University
- MSN, State University of New York, Stony Brook, NY
- BSN, Texas Woman's University
- Diploma, Nursing, Lutheran Medical Center School of Nursing
Areas of Research, Teaching, And Clinical Expertise and Scholarship
Dr. Gonzalez began teaching at University of Texas at Arlington in 2004. He held leadership roles such as the Director of the Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner program and the Interim Director of the Doctor of Nursing Practice Program. His clinical practice has focused on the care of the hospitalized patient and outpatient internal medicine. He maintains dual certification and licensure as an Adult Health Nurse Practitioner and an Acute Care Nurse Practitioner and maintains an active practice with a hospitalist group in a large teaching hospital.
In addition to his clinical and teaching roles, he is a member of the National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties, the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, and serves on the Texas Nurse Practitioner's Scope of Practice Committee. In 2021, he was a recipient of the DFW 100 Greatest Nurses distinction, a peer-nominated award for mentorship, leadership, compassionate caregiving, and significant contributions to the nursing profession.
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- National Organization for Nurse Practitioner Faculties
- Texas Nurse Practitioners (Board of Directors, 2019-2022)
- North Texas Nurse Practitioners Association
- Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
- Adult Nurse Practitioner
- Certificate of Recognition, UTA Department of Graduate Nursing, Outstanding use of Unit Effectiveness Program Assessment Data for Continuous Improvement 2021
- DFW 100 Greatest Nurses 2021
- Phi Kappa Phi Inductee 2018
- Best Poster Presentation at Texas Woman's University 2010
- Clinical Excellence Award from Stony Brook University 2005
- Top 4% of scores for the Adult Nurse Practitioner AANP National Certification 2005
- Nominated to the National Dean's list in 1988 and 2000
- Gigli, K. & Gonzalez, J. (2022) Meeting the Need for Nurse Practitioner Clinicals: A Survey of Practitioners. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 34(8).
- Cottrell, D. B., Gonzalez, J., Atchison, P. T., Evans, S. C., Cruz, C., & Stokes, A. (2022) Suicide, Risk and Prevention, a Focus on LGBTQ+ Adolescents and Young Adults. The Nurse Practitioner. Accepted.
- Gonzalez, J. & Gigli, K. (2021) Navigating Population Foci and Implications for Nurse Practitioner Scope of Practice. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 17(1).
- O'Bryan, P., Cutrell, J., Gonzalez, J., & Azadeh, N., &. APP Versatility During the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Role in Employee Health. Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants. Accepted July 7, 2022