- PhD, Nursing, University of Texas Houston Health Science Center
- MSN, University of Hartford
- BSN, University of Colorado
Areas of Research, Teaching, And Clinical Expertise and Scholarship
Evidence Based Practice and Nursing Research, Project Management, Quality Initiatives, Nursing Education, Simulation, Mentoring, Preceptorship, Newly Licensed Nurse Transition into Practice, Professional Development, Obstetrics and Pediatrics.
- Member of the Patient and Family Advisory Board for MD Anderson Cancer Center
- 1998 - present - American Nurses in Professional Development (ANPD)
- 2011 - present - Texas Gulf Coast Nurses in Staff Development Organization
- 2006 - present - Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
- 2014 - present - American Women's Health, Obstetrics and Neonatal Nursing (AWHONN)
- May 2014 - Graduate of University of Texas Clinical Safety and Effectiveness Course
- 2002 - present - ANCC Board Certified in Nursing Professional Development
- 2005 - Recipient of MNA Advanced Education Scholarship Recipient of the Dartmouth Hitchcock Nursing Scholarship
- 2002 - Awarded "Program Volunteer of the Year" by the American Heart Association Awarded "Local Hero" by the American Lung Association
- 2000 - Recognition by the AHA for Exceptional Community Programs
- 2015 - Lesser, SR, et al. Increasing Pertussis and Influenza Vaccination Rates Among Postpartum Women. Newborn & Infant Nursing Reviews. (2015)
- 2006 - Lesser, Susan. Conquering the diabetes education dilemma-consistent lessons for a safe discharge. Patient Management. (July/2006)
- 2020 AWHONN Virtual Conference; Poster Presentation "Maximum Safety Zone: A Qualitative Exploration of maternal Patient and Family Perspectives of Patient Safety"
- 2020 AWHONN Virtual Conference; Poster Presentation "Safer Culture: A Developing Roadmap to Safer Maternal Care"
- 2020 Perinatal Kaleidoscope-Houston, Concurrent Session "Maximum Safety Zone: A Qualitative Exploration of maternal Patient and Family Perspectives of Patient Safety"
- 2014 Shared Visions Conference-San Antonio, TX Poster Presentation "Vaccinating One to Protect Two"
- 2013 Perinatal Kaleidoscope-Galveston, Concurrent Session "Horizontal Violence".
- 2010 Nursing Grand Rounds presentation on "Teaching to Low Literacy"
- 2009 ANPD conference, Philadelphia, PA; Poster Presentation "Preceptor Rejuvenation", awarded third place.
- 2004 National Nurse Staff Development Conference, San Diego, CA Poster Presentation "Teach on Peach: Promoting Interdisciplinary Patient Education in the Acute Care Setting"