- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.); Nursing Research - The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston: Houston, Texas
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN), Nurse Anesthesia - University of Southern California: Los Angeles, California
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) - Auburn University: Auburn, Alabama
- Bachelor of Science in Biology (BS) - East Carolina University: Greenville, North Carolina
Areas of Research, Teaching, And Clinical Expertise and Scholarship
- Dr. Starnes-Ott has received numerous research grants for her interests focus on patient safety using simulation methodology, telehealth applications in nursing education, communication and situational awareness among healthcare providers, patient-centered communication and team leadership. She has also received numerous HRSA traineeship grants that have supported educational programs and the relationships to healthcare provider outcomes. Dr. Starnes-Ott has presented her research and educational scholarship nationally with an emphasis on teaching communication and team leadership among healthcare providers impacting health outcomes.
- Dr. Starnes-Ott has taught a variety of graduate level courses including nurse anesthesia, quality and patient safety, translational science, and evidence-based practice. She has also served as a faculty mentor/chair for PhD candidacy and dissertations as well as DNP scholarly projects.
- Dr. Starnes-Ott has over 18 years of clinical experience as a practicing Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) and previously practiced as an intensive care unit (ICU) registered nurse (RN) for over 5 years in several large, academic health science centers.
- Distinguished Fellow of the National Academies of Practice (NAP) in Nursing; FNAP (March 2020)
- Betty P. Akins Endowed Chair in Nursing; UTMB, School of Nursing (January 2020)
- Bette P. Thomas Distinguished Professorship in Innovative Health Care Delivery; UTHealth, Cizik School of Nursing (July 2015)
- Outstanding Nurse for the 22nd Annual Celebration Award, Texas Nurses Association (TNA) District 9 Foundation, Houston, TX (November 2012)
- Harris County Medical Society Alliance Clinical Excellence Award; PhD recipient, UTHealth (Spring, 2011)
- AANA Foundation New York Life Doctoral Fellow; American Association of Nurse Anesthetists Foundation (2010-2011)
- Outstanding Doctoral Award; Sigma Theta Tau International, Zeta Pi Chapter (2010)
- Agatha Hodgins CRNA Memorial Award; Outstanding Graduate Nurse Anesthetist, University of Southern California (2000)
- Outstanding University Graduate Student Award; University of Southern California (2000)
- American Nurses Association (ANA)
- Simulation Society in Healthcare (SSH)
- Southern Nursing Research Society (SNRS)
- Sigma Theta Tau Honor Society of Nursing
- Texas Association of Nurse Anesthetists (TANA)
- American Association of Nurse Anesthetists (AANA)