- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) - The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Texas
- Master of Public Health (MPH) - Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut (Global Health track)
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) - The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Texas
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) - The University of Texas at Austin, Texas (Government, Spanish majors)
Areas of Research, Teaching, And Clinical Expertise and Scholarship
- Dr. DeMello aims to improve psychosocial and behavioral health outcomes among adolescents and young adults. She has conducted quantitative, qualitative, and mixed-methods research related to suicide and injury prevention, gun safety education, depression, body image, and quality of life after surgery. Dr. DeMello has presented at national conferences and emphasizes the importance of systemic and environmental facilitators to improving individual health outcomes.
- Prior to earning a PhD, Dr. DeMello worked as a clinical nurse researcher and registered nurse for pediatric surgical and critical care units in large academic teaching hospitals in Houston. Her background stems from public health. She has led the Safe Kids Coalition of York County, contributed as a member to various community coalitions, taught courses in stress management and physical activity, and was a community health clinical instructor for undergraduate nursing students.
- Population Health
- Health Assessment
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Future of Nursing Scholar (2017-2020)
- Sigma Theta Tau, Beta Alpha Chapter research grant (2019-2021)
- Research Poster Award – Nursing Research and Evidence-based Practice Symposium, UT Health (2019)
- Podium Presentation Award – Society of Trauma Nurses, Pediatric Trauma Society Annual Conference (2018)
- Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine
- Texas Nurses Association
- American Nurses Association
- Sigma Theta Tau, Zeta Pi Chapter
- DeMello, A., Yang, Y., Schulte, J., Wolf, D., Holcomb, J., Bless, B., DeMeter, K., Wade, C., & Drake, S. (n.d.). Learning from suicide deaths in Harris County, Texas. Death Studies, ahead-of-print (epub ahead of print), 1–11. https://doi.org/10.1080/07481187.2020.1776790
- DeMello, A. S., Rosenfeld, E. H., Whitaker, B., Wesson, D. E., & Naik-Mathuria, B. J. (2020). Keeping children safe at home: parent perspectives to firearms safety education delivered by pediatric providers. Southern medical journal, 113(5), 219-223.
- Yangyang, R. Y., DeMello, A. S., Greeley, C. S., Cox, C. S., Naik-Mathuria, B. J., & Wesson, D. E. (2018). Injury patterns of child abuse: Experience of two Level 1 pediatric trauma centers. Journal of pediatric surgery, 53(5), 1028-1032.