Dr. Ellen Boyd received her PhD from Texas Woman's University earning a doctorate degree in Philosophy of Nursing Science in 2019, Her dissertation topic was "High-risk Pregnancy and Prescribed Bed Rest a Mixed Method Design". While at Texas Woman's University she earned a certification in Nursing Education and toured health care facilities in Vietnam,
She received a Master's Degree with a Family Nurse Practitioner from Hardin-Simmons University in 2002, Abilene, TX.
In 2000, she received a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree from McMurry University, Abilene, TX.
An Associate Degree in Nursing (1984) was earned at Austin Community College, Austin, TX.
Areas of Research, Teaching, And Clinical Expertise and Scholarship
Her primary research interest is High-risk Pregnancy and Antepartum Bed Rest. She has done several podium presentations and publications on the topic. Additional areas of research participation in a Global Health Initiative and Nursing Education. Dr. Boyd and the Nurse Educator students have participated in an International Global Health project developing care plans for Maua Hospital, Kenya.
Dr. Boyd's background includes 25 years of OB/GYN/Neonatal experience. She developed a high-risk Maternal/Neonatal transport team in Abilene, TX. The transport team served a two hundred mile radius of rural community hospitals to bring high-risk mothers and neonates to a high-risk unit. After obtaining her Nurse Practitioner degree she worked in ambulatory settings for Family Practice, Women's Health, and Obstetrics.
In 2009, she joined the Nursing Faculty at UTMB. From 2009-2016 she was faculty in the BSN program coordinating courses NURS 3631 Adult I, N4531 Mother and Family and NURS 3363 Legal/Ethical. Moving into the Family Nurse Practitioner program in 2016, she was the coordinator for GNRS 5668 Older Adult and Chronic Illnesses, GNRS 5669 Adult/Women's Health, and GNRS 5670 Pedi/OB.
Since 2017 Dr. Boyd has been the Track Administrator for the Nurse Educator Program. From 2018-2020 she served as the Faculty Assembly Chair. In 2020, moving to the post-chair position on the Faculty Assembly Executive Committee.
For her current position as the Track Administrator for the Nurse Educator Program she has been the course coordinator for the following courses:
- GNRS 5108 Educator: Professional Role Development
- GNRS 5309 Educator: Foundation of Adult Learning
- GNRS 5311 Educator: Program Evaluation
- GNRS 5312 Educator: Learning Environment
- GNRS 5322 Educator: Curriculum Design
Clinical courses taught:
- GNRS 5310 Educator: Advanced Clinical
- GNRS 5320 Educator: Clinical Practicum
Additional courses taught:
- GNRS 5373 Theoretical and Research Foundations for Advanced Practice Nursing
- GNRS 5349 Informatics and Quality Improvement
- Outstanding Faculty Award, Baccalaureate Program, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Sigma Theta Tau, Excellence in Mentoring Award, 2013
- Pamela G. Watson Award, 2013, 2018
- 2016-2018 Committee Member Admissions and Progressions-MSN and Graduate Students
- 2014-2016 Committee Member Admissions and Progression-BSN level students
- 2016-2018 Faculty Assembly Chair-Elect
- 2018-2020 Faculty Assembly Chair
- 2020-Current Faculty Assembly Past Chair
- 2017-Current Faculty Assembly Executive Committee