- Doctor in Nursing Practice (DNP), The University of Alabama, 2013.
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN), Sonoma State University, California, 1997 Family Nurse Practitioner. Board Certified by ANCC.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN), Montana State Nursing, 1987. Inducted into Sigma Theta Tau.
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology (BA), University of Minnesota, 1983. Graduated summa cum laude, phi beta kappa.
Areas of Research, Teaching, Clinical Expertise and Scholarship
- Adherence, integrative health care, family practice, urgent care; Educational research, active learning, feedback and debriefing.
- DNP project, "Medication Adherence in a Nurse Practitioner-Managed Clinic for Indigent Patients", 2013.
- Qualitative research project, "Factors Affecting Adherence to a Healthy Lifestyle," supporting Pender's Model of health promotion theory, 1996.
- Family Nurse Practitioner courses
- Nursing theory
- Academy of Master Clinicians, 2017, University of Texas Medical Branch.
- Chair of Faculty Senate, 2016, University of Texas Medical Branch.
- Academy of Master Teachers, 2014, University of Texas Medical Branch
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners Future Leader, 2014, inaugural member.
- Peace Corps service in Gabon, Africa 1983-1985. Taught English as a Second Language.
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP).
- Sigma Theta Tau (STTI).
- Galveston Coalition of Advanced Practice Nurses (GCAPN), Treasurer and Treasurer-elect 2014-2015. Secretary 2002-2003.
- American Holistic Nurses Association (AHNA).
- Board Certified as Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP-BC).
- Advanced Practice Holistic Nurse (APHN-BC).
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- Sterling-Turner Endowed Professorship in Teaching Excellence awarded for educational research project 2018-2020.
- Hiram and Gloria Arnold Endowed Professorship for Teaching Excellence for Academic year 2019.
- Eisenhauer Biegert Faculty Award, 2016.
- Outstanding DNP Mentor of the Year, 2016.
- Alton, S. (in review). Hand injuries: Fight bites and boxer fractures. In review at Journal for Nurse Practitioners.
- Alton, S., Wilder, M., & Luke, S. (2018). Cost-effective virtual clinical site visits for nurse practitioner students. Journal of Nursing Education, 57(5), 308-311. doi:10.3928/01484834-20180420-11
- Alton, S. & Pine, H. (2016). Painful nose crusting in a child. Journal of Urgent Care Medicine, (11)2, 33-36. Retrieved from http://www.jucm.com/painful-nose-crusting-child
- Alton, S. (2016). Learning how to learn: Meta-learning strategies for the challenges of learning pharmacology. Nurse Education Today, (38)3, 2-4. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2016.01.003
- Alton, S., March, A.L., Mallary, L., & Fiandt, K. (2015). Medication adherence in a nurse practitioner-managed clinic for indigent patients. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, (27)8, 433-440. Retrieved from http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2327-6924.12211/epdf/ 2017: Article used in the University of Alabama's NUR 701 Writing for Publication course.
- Alton, S.E., & Wiggs, C. (2014). AHNCC-Endorsed schools of nursing: The University of Texas Medical Branch School of Nursing. American Holistic Nurses Association Beginnings, 34(1), 33.