- PhD - University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
- MSN - University of Texas Health Science Center - Houston
- Nursing – Clinical Nurse Specialist, Psychiatric. Mental Health Nursing
- Nursing Education
- BSN - University of Texas Health Science Center – Houston
- Diploma in Nursing – Northwest Texas Hospital School of Nursing
Areas of Research, Teaching, And Clinical Expertise and Scholarship
Dr. Méndez has a clinical background in emergency and critical care nursing. In addition, he has extensive clinical and administrative experience in psychiatric mental health nursing. He has served as chief nursing officer in two psychiatric mental health facilities as well also as an assistant administrator.
Dr. Méndez was the director of risk management for a professional liability insurance company based in Houston. Dr. Méndez was the executive vice president and legal nurse consultant at the largest nurse-owned legal support firm in the United States. Dr. Méndez has been a Joint Commission pre-survey consultant preparing hospitals and health systems for Joint Commission accreditation surveys.
Dr. Méndez's research interest is culture and the impact of culture on wellness and illness, particularly within the psychiatric mental health setting.
- N 3511 Psychosocial Dimensions of Care – Course Coordinator
- N 3410 Nursing: Concepts of Pathophysiology
- N 4503 Adult Nursing III - Clinical Faculty
- N 4430 Professional Nursing Role & Clinical Capstone
- Beverly & F. A. (Andy) Odom Endowment for Nursing Research - 2014
- Chair, UTMB School of Nursing Faculty Assembly 2012-13 & 2013-2014
- Excellence in Education Award, Alpha Delta Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International, April 2012
- Eleanor Brasher Farley and Stephanie Farley Pardue Memorial for Nursing Leadership Award, UTMB School of Nursing, April, 2007.
- Invited attendee, Summer Research Institute, Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Research in Underserved Populations, School of Nursing, University of Texas at Austin, Summer, 2007.
- Eleanor Brasher Farley and Stephanie Farley Pardue Memorial for Nursing Leadership Award, UTMB School of Nursing, April, 2006.
- Salute to Nursing Scholarship, UTMB School of Nursing, 2005.