Academic Counseling Program
The Academic Counselor collaborates with students and faculty to develop strategies to improve academic performance.
What is Academic Counseling?
Academic Counseling is an academic support program that helps students develop more effective and efficient study skills. The Academic Counseling program is designed to help students who are having academic difficulty or have a desire to improve their study skills.
The Academic Counselor conducts informational seminars throughout the semester and provides individualized consultations to students in the areas of general study effectiveness, academic and test anxiety, and other topics.
The sessions focus on skills such as
- Time management
- Learning Style Preference and Techniques
- Avoiding /reducing Stress
- Note Taking Best Practices
- Developing Effective Study Skills
- Exam preparation
- General Study Effectiveness
- Focusing and reducing distractions
- Academic and Test Anxiety
- Academic support for students experiencing difficulties
- Course Material Organization
- Planning and implementing immediate and long range goals
- Interval Review Sessions
- Reading Comprehension
Individual appointments with an Academic Counselor are available to students who want more intensive help with study skills. Students seeking individual appointments must directly contact the Academic Counselor via email or telephone to request an appointment. The student will receive a meeting request on their UTMB email account to confirm a meeting date and time.
The Academic Counselor, Kaci Woods-Chinn is located on the 3rd floor of the School of Nursing in office 3.808.
Kaci Woods-Chinn can be reached via email at email@example.com or (409) 772-1259